Daily Current Affairs for Banking, SSC- 7th September 2016
1. The Union Government has approved 450 crore rupees for Madhya Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh and Sikkim under the Swadesh Darshan scheme. It was approved by the Union Tourism Ministry for the development of Heritage circuit in Madhya Pradesh and Uttarakhand, Ramayana Circuit in Uttar Pradesh, North East Circuit in Sikkim and Coastal Circuit of Tamil Nadu.
The Heritage Circuit in Uttarakhand: It covers Jageshwar-Devidhura-Katarmal-Baijnath sites with total project cost of approximately 83 crores rupees.
Coastal circuit in Tamil Nadu: It envisages development of Chennai-Mamamallapuram-Rameshwaram-Manpadu-Kanyakumari. The total project cost is of approximately 100 crores. Ramayana Circuit in Uttar Pradesh: It envisages development of two destinations, Chitrakoot and Shringverpur.
North East circuit in Sikkim: It includes development of cultural centre, paragliding centre and craft bazaar for mountaineering and meditation hall at approximate project cost of 95 crores.
The Heritage Circuit in Madhya Pradesh: It covers developing Tourism Infrastructure Gwalior-Orchha-Khajuraho-Chanderi-Bhimbetka-Mandu. The total project cost is of approximately 100 crore rupees.
2. India, Chile ink agreement to expand scope of PTA
1. India and Chile have inked an agreement to expand the scope of their existing Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA) by covering more goods for tariff concessions. A PTA between India and Chile was earlier signed in March 2006 and had come into force with effect from August, 2007.
2. Chile has offered concessions to India on 1,798 tariff lines with Margin of Preference (MoP) or rate of concessions, ranging from 30-100%. Likewise, India has offered concessions to Chile on 1,031 tariff lines, with MoP ranging from 10-100%.
3. Honda Motorcycle inks pact with HDFC ERGO for two-wheeler insurance
1. Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India Pvt Ltd on Wednesday signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with HDFC ERGO General Insurance as a preferred insurance partner for Honda two-wheelers in India.
2. They will get 40 per cent saving on insurance premium (own-damage) and near cashless claims settlement with convenient digital interface.
4. Dharmendra Pradhan launches Gas4India campaign to promote use of natural gas
1. Dharmendra Pradhan, Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Petroleum and Natural Gas, on 6 September 2016 launched #Gas4India campaign.
2. The campaign is aimed at promoting the use of gas in the country.
3. Public and private sector companies working in the sector have joined hands to promote the natural gas sector.
4. Pradhan also launched the website, Twitter handle, Facebook page and theme song of the campaign.
5. Quikr acquires Stepni
1. Online classifieds company Quikr has acquired Stepni, a platform that connects vehicle owners with service providers nearest to them, in an attempt to strengthen its offerings under QuikrCars. However, the financial terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
2. QuikrCars is a vertical that focuses on all types of automobiles, including cars, bikes and commercial vehicles.
3. Founded by Vinay Singh and Nikhil Nair in October 2015, Stepni has helped thousands of consumers with their vehicle servicing needs in Bengaluru through a partner network of over 125 service centres across the city.
4. Stepni’s founders and team will join QuikrCars with immediate effect. The overall platform integration will help QuikrCars consumers shortlist service providers that can ensure the best service for their vehicle within 5 km of their location.
5. Since last year, Quikr has made several acquisitions. QuikrHomes has acquired Realty Exchange (IRX), Realtycompass and CommonFloor and made a strategic investment in A N Virtual Tech.
6. QuikrServices has acquired beauty services companies Salosa and Zapluk. QuikrJobs has also acquired Hiree to expand into white collar jobs.
6. World’s oldest cricketer Lindsay Tuckett passes away
1. South African Lindsay Tuckett, who was the oldest surviving former Test cricketer, passed away on 5 September 2016 in Bloemfontein. He was 97.
September CA eBook
2. With the death of Tuckett, the distinction of the oldest surviving cricketer in the world now passes to all-rounder Johnny Watkins, who is 93.
7. GRSE hands over fast attack craft TIHAYU to Indian Navy
1. The Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Limited (GRSE) of Kolkata on 30 August 2016 handed over TIHAYU, the Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC) to the Indian Navy. The warship was handed over by Rear Admiral (Retd) AK Verma, CMD of GRSE to the Commanding Officer Cdr Ajay Kashov.
2. GRSE had earlier built and delivered 10 WJFACs to the Indian Navy during 2009 to 2011, which are proving well in service.
8. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited successfully tests Light Utility Helicopter
1. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) on 6 September 2016 successfully completed test flight of indigenous Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) Bengaluru.
2. During the test, the helicopter remained in the air for 15 minutes inside the HAL complex.
3. The LUH will replace the military’s obsolescent fleet of Chetak and Cheetah helicopters that have flown for over three decades.
9. West Odisha celebrates Nuakhai Festival
1. Western Odisha on 6 September 2016 celebrated the festival of Nuakhai, the agrarian festival of the region, with religious fervour.
2. The celebrations began with the Nabanna in which the newly harvested rice was offered to Goddess Samaleswari as per the stipulated Lagna, the auspicious moment. The deity was adorned with new saree and ornaments on the occasion.
3. Later, people offered Nabanna to their presiding deities.
10. 2016 G-20 Summit held in Hangzhou, China
1. The 2016 Group of Twenty (G20) Summit was held in Hangzhou, China from 4th to 5th September 2016 to discuss efforts to reform global economic governance. It was the eleventh meeting of the G20. It was the first ever G20 summit to be hosted in China and the second Asian country after 2010 G20 Seoul summit was hosted in South Korea.
2. The theme of 2016 G20 Summit: “Toward an Innovative, Invigorated, Interconnected and Inclusive World Economy”.
3. Main Highlights
G-20 leaders pledge have pledged to continue to work for a globally fair and modern international tax system, foster growth and refrain from competitive devaluation of currencies. They will continue the work on addressing cross-border financial flows derived from illicit activities, including deliberate trade mis-invoicing, which hampers the mobilisation of domestic resources for development.