Dear Readers, we are presenting Daily Current Affairs for All Exams- 13th October 2016.
1. Bob Dylan wins 2016 Nobel Prize in Literature
1. Bob Dylan won the 2016 Nobel Prize in Literature.
2. Dylan was bestowed with the precious award for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition.
2. Renu Pall appointed as Ambassador of India to Austria
1. Former Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer Renu Pall was on 8 October 2016 appointed as the Ambassador of India to Austria. Her appointment was announced by the Union Ministry of External Affairs.
2. She will succeed Rajiva Misra in Austria. Currently, Pall is serving as the Ambassador of India to the Czech Republic.
3. Standard Chartered Bank ties-up with Uber to offer discounts
1. Foreign lender Standard Chartered Bank (SCB) on 10 October 2016 tied-up with Uber under which its credit cardholders will get a cash-back of up to 25 percent for hailing cabs from the app across six countries.
2. In India, the cardholders will get a 20 percent cash-back on all Uber rides, subject to a cash—back cap of 600 rupees per month. Additionally, first-time Uber users will get a discount of 50 rupees for the first three rides.
4. HIMANSH, India’s remote and high-altitude station opened in Spiti, Himachal Pradesh
1. The National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research (NCAOR) established a high altitude research station in Himalaya called HIMANSH. The station is situated above 13500 feet at a remote region in Spiti, Himachal Pradesh.
2. The station was unveiled by M. Rajeevan, Secretary to the Ministry of Earth Sciences, on 9 October 2016.
3. The ongoing initiatives by NCAOR will contribute to the integrated study the glaciers in the upper Indus basin (Chandra basin) in Himachal Pradesh and their contribution to discharge.
5. Virat Kohli presented with ICC Test Championship mace
1. Virat Kohli was presented with the ICC Test Championship mace for leading his team to the top of the Test Team Rankings. On behalf, of ICC the mace was presented by former India captain and ICC Cricket Hall of Famer Sunil Gavaskar following the conclusion of the third and final Test against New Zealand in Indore.
2. The achieved the number-one spot on the ICC Test Rankings after it took a 2-0 lead in Kolkata, but the Test team rankings are only updated at the end of the series. Thus on completion of the series, India formally replaced its arch rival Pakistan at the top of the table at the end pf Indore Test. India won the Indore Test by 321 runs.
6. Global Hunger Index 2016 released: India ranked at 97th position
1. The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) released the 2016 Global Hunger Index (GHI).
2. It says if hunger declines at the same rate as it has since 1992, more than 45 countries including India, Pakistan, Haiti, Yemen, and Afghanistan will still have moderate to alarming hunger scores in 2030.
7. October 13: International Day for Disaster Reduction
The International Day for Disaster Reduction (IDDR) is observed annually on 13 October across the world encourage citizens and governments to take part in building more disaster resilient communities and nations.
1. The first World Tsunami Awareness Day will be celebrated on November 5, 2016 at the Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR) 2016. The conference will organised from November 3 to 5, 2016 in New Delhi by the Union 2. Government in collaboration with United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR). To commemorate the occasion, an event will be organised with Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Champions at the AMCDRR 2016.