Dear Readers, we are presenting Daily Current Affairs for All Exams- 14th October 2016.
1. Maldives quits Commonwealth
1. The Maldives on Thursday pulled out of the Commonwealth calling as “unjust” the grouping’s decision to penalise the island nation over the circumstances that led to then President Mohamed Nasheed’s ouster in 2012 and the lack of subsequent progress in resolving the political unrest.
2. The Maldives Foreign Ministry termed “difficult” but “inevitable” the decision to leave the Commonwealth, a grouping of 53 nations that were mostly territories of the former British Empire.
3. Last month, the Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group (CMAG), had warned Maldives of suspension from the bloc expressing its “deep disappointment” over the country’s lack of progress in resolving the political crisis.
2. Ajay Kumar Bhalla appointed as Director General of Foreign Trade
1. Senior IAS officer Ajay Kumar Bhalla was on 13 October 2016 appointed as the Director General of Foreign Trade (DGFT). He succeeds Anup Wadhawan, who was appointed as Additional Secretary in the commerce ministry.
2. Bhalla, a 1984 batch IAS officer of Assam-Meghalaya cadre, is presently an Additional Secretary in the Commerce Ministry.
3. India, Russia sign agreement to set up agro irradiation centres
1. India and Russia on 13 October 2016 signed a bilateral agreement for cooperation in the development of a network of integrated infrastructure irradiation centres.
2. The agreement was signed between the Indian Agricultural Association, Hindustan Agro Co-Op Ltd (HACL) and United Innovation Corporation (UIC), a subsidiary of ROSATOM State Atomic Energy Corporation of Russia.
3. It was signed by Bharat Dhokane Pandurang, Chairman of HACL and Denis Cherednichenko, CEO of UIC.
4. World Sight Day 2016 observed with theme Stronger Together
1. The 2016 World Sight Day (WSD) was observed across the world on 13 October 2016.
2. The theme for the WSD 2016 is Stronger Together.
3. The Day is an annual day of awareness held on the second Thursday of October, to focus global attention on blindness and vision impairment.
5. Union Cabinet approves MoU between EXIM bank and NDB
1. Union Cabinet approved MoU between Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) on General Cooperation with the BRICS promoted New Development Bank (NDB), along with other Development Financial Institutions of BRICS nations. This will be achieved through the BRICS Interbank Cooperation Mechanism.
2. This approval will help in enhancing trade and economic relations among the BRICS countries and benefit the participating institutions from the BRICS nation. There is no financial implication involved in signing of the MoU.
3. Key Highlights
• The MoU is a non-binding umbrella agreement.
• It aims at establishing a cooperation framework in accordance with the national laws and regulations, besides skills transfer and knowledge sharing amongst the signatories.
6. Thailand’s King Bhumibol Adulyadej, world's longest-reigning monarch, dies
1. Thailand’s King Bhumibol Adulyadej (88), who was the world’s longest reigning monarch, died .
2. His son and heir apparent, 63-year old Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn, is expected to become the new king.
3. The king is credited with restoring the influence of Thailand's royalty during 70 years on the throne and earning the devotion of many of his subjects.
4. King Bhumibol, who ascended the throne on June 9, 1946, was seen as a force for unity, and there have long been concerns that the political tensions that have riven Thailand over the past decade could worsen after his death.