Dear Readers, we are presenting Daily Current Affairs for All Exams- 20th October 2016.
1. Kochi becomes first Indian city to host FIFA U-17 World Cup
1. Kochi became the first Indian city to be officially declared as one of the venues for hosting the 2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup. The tournament will be hosted in the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium of the city.
2. A 23-member high-level delegation comprising experts from FIFA and Local Organising Committee (LOC) ratified Kochi as the venue for next year's mega event. Earlier, the delegation visited the Jawarharlal Nehru International Stadium.
2. Maharashtra launches Kaushalya SETU initiative
1. Maharashtra Government launched Kaushalya SETU (Self-Employment and Talent Utilisation) initiative. The initiative, which is a skill development programme for students, is likely to generate employment for as many as 7.5 lakh people in state.
2. For the purpose of employing skilled people, the state also signed 22 MoUs with various industries. The best part of the initiative is that it would help in bridging the gap between education and employment.
Highlights of Kaushalya Setu initiative
• Students of Maharashtra State Board of Secondary & Higher Secondary Education, who fail to clear Class X or SSC exam, would be accommodated in the skill development courses. This will help in ensuring that these students do not lose a year.
• The launch will play a leading role in fulfilling Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Skill India Mission-2020
3. Indian Railways wins World Railway Shooting Championship Cup
1. Indian Railways in the second week of October 2016 won the World Railway Shooting Championship Cup. The tournament was held at Saint Mandrier, France.
2. It is the first time that Indian Railways emerged victorious in this competition. In 2015, the Indian Railways were the runners up team.
3. Indian Railways team won a total 10 medals, which include 5 Gold, 3 Silver and 2 Bronze, to bag the Overall Championship at the 15th International Shooting World Championship (USIC). The purpose of USIC is to encourage the practice of amateur sport among railway employees all over the world.
4. Union Government funds Ro Pax Ferry Service in Gulf of Cambay under Sagarmala Programme
1. The Union Ministry of Shipping sanctioned the Capital Dredging Project for Ro Pax Ferry Services between Gogha & Dahej, in Gulf of Cambay in Gujarat.
2. The step was taken as a part of promoting coastal shipping in the country under Sagarmala programme. It is one of the flagship projects under Sagarmala which aims to increase share of waterways transportation in modal mix to 10% from present level of 7% by year 2025.
• The Ministry released 58.50 crore rupees as first instalment of grant-in–aid to Gujarat Maritime Board (GMB).
• The total project cost is estimated to be 234 crore rupees of which 50% will be funded by Union Government under the Sagarmala programme.
• The project will result in reduction in motorable distance of 231 kilometres between Gogha and Dahej to mere 31 kilometres and reduce the travel time from 7 hours to 1 hour only by crossing the Gulf in Cambay in 17 Nautical Miles.
1. Retired bureaucrat Sunil Kumar Mishra was on 19 October 2016 appointed as the Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) of Odisha. Governor Dr. S C Jamir approved the name of Mishra, an official release said.
2. Earlier on 6 October 2016, a selection committee chaired by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik recommended Mishra’s name to the Governor for appointment as the CIC.
3. Former director general of income tax Mishra will succeed former chief secretary Tarun Kanti Mishra. The post of CIC was vacant since February 2015. TK Mishra had resigned six months before his scheduled retirement on personal ground.
6. India signs pact with Russia to lease second nuclear submarine
1. India has signed agreement with Russia to lease second Akula-II class nuclear attack submarine (SSN). The deal is believed to be worth about $2 billion.
2. The lease to transfer a multipurpose Project 971 nuclear submarine to India from the Russian Navy was signed in Goa on the sidelines of 8th BRICS Summit. The second nuclear submarine is expected to arrive in Indian waters in 2020-21.
1. India and China have conducted second joint military exercise “Sino India Cooperation 2016” in Ladakh region along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Jammu and Kashmir.
2. The exercise compliments Hand in Hand series of India-China joint military exercises that aims to enhance cooperation and maintain peace and tranquility along border areas of both countries.
1. Noted British statistician Sir David Cox (92) was awarded inaugural recipient of the International Prize in Statistics.
2. The International Prize in Statistics Foundation has bestowed this award on Sir David Cox in recognition of Survival Analysis Model (or Cox Model) Applied in Medicine, Science, and Engineering.