Dear Readers, we are presenting Daily Current Affairs for All Exams- 5th November 2016.
1. 6th Indo-Bangla joint military exercise SAMPRITI commences
1. Indo-Bangla joint military training exercise SAMPRITI commenced at Tangail, Dhaka.
2. This is the sixth edition of the exercise which is hosted alternately by both countries. The exercise is an important bilateral defence cooperation endeavour between the two countries.
• The exercise will simulate a scenario where both nations are working together in a counter insurgency and counter terrorism environment under the UN Charter.
• The participants will initially get familiar with each other’s organizational structure and tactical drills during the exercise.
• Subsequently, the training will advance to joint tactical exercises wherein the battle drills of both the armies will be practiced.
2. First World Tsunami Awareness Day observed
1. The First World Tsunami Awareness Day was observed across the world on 5 November 2016. The theme for the year is Effective Education and Evacuation Drills.
2. In December 2015, the United Nations General Assembly designated 5 November as World Tsunami Awareness Day.
1. The Union Government launched Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) to provide free health check-ups to pregnant women at government health centres and hospitals. The Scheme was launched by Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda in New Delhi.
2. It was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his monthly radio address Mann Ki Baat in June 2016.
1. Latvia has become the first country in the Baltic Sea area to sign a Memorandum of Understanding to link up with China’s One Belt and One Road (OBOR) Initiative.
2. The MoU was signed after Chinese Premier Li Keqiang’s meeting with his Latvian counterpart Maris Kucinskis in Riga (capital of Latvia). It was Chinese Premier’s first visit to the European Union country.
3. Besides, Latvia and China also singed five agreements on cooperation in such areas as small and medium-sized enterprises, transportation and logistics.
5. Andhra Pradesh tops World Bank’s energy-saving rankings
1. The sunrise state Andhra Pradesh has been ranked number one in the World Bank’s ‘Energy Efficiency Implementation Readiness’. 2. The ranking of the states were released in the World Bank’s study report titled: ‘India’s State Level Energy Efficiency Implementation Readiness’.
1. Kamala Harris, California’s Attorney General, is on the cusp of becoming the first Indian-American Senator in the US Congress with latest polls placing her “far ahead” of her rival days before the November 8 general elections.
2. Harris, 51, has already got the backing of US President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden to be the state’s next Senator, brightening her chances to become the first from the community ever to be a member of the Upper House.
7. China develops high-speed unmanned sea vessel
1. China has developed a high-speed, intelligent unmanned sea vessel which can be used for a host of applications, including submarine detection.
2. The vessel is able to carry a photoelectric scout device, light weapons, sonar and other equipment, and can be used in a wide range of applications, including coastal patrol, armed confrontation, submarine detection and water-quality monitoring