Daily Current Affairs contains all major news that occurs National and International Level.It will helpful for those students who are preparing for Bank Exams- IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam , SSC Exams and all other competitive exams .
Dear Banking and SSC , Railway exam Aspirants keep reading Daily Current Affairs for upcoming Exams
1. Actress Rekha conferred 2016 Yash Chopra Memorial Award
1. Veteran Bollywood actress and Rajya Sabha MP Rekha has been conferred with the third edition of Yash Chopra Memorial Award. The award was bestowed upon her by Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao in recognition of her talent and contribution to the film industry.
2. Yash Chopra Memorial Award It is an annual award bestowed upon distinguished senior film personality for outstanding contribution to film industry The award has been instituted by the TSR Foundation of T Subbarami Reddy in the memory of the producer-director Yash Chopra who died in 2012.
2. Japanese automaker Toyota tops in global vehicle sales in 2015
1. Japanese automaker Toyota Motor Corp. has topped in global vehicle sales in 2015 by selling 10.151 million vehicles, beating Volkswagen and General Motors. With this, the company has retained its status as the world’s top-selling automaker for the fourth straight year.
2. While, German automaker Volkswagen AG is ranks second in global vehicle sales list and has sold 9.93 million vehicles in year 2015. Detroit-based General Motors (GM) ranks third in the list and has sold at 9.8 million vehicles. In 2008,
2. Toyota had broken GM’s 7 decades of long reign as the world’s top automaker. But it had lost it in 2011 as Japan’s devastating earthquake-tsunami disaster that had dented its production and disrupted the supply chains. However, in 2012 Toyota once again overtook GM and since then it has remained on top position,
3. American actor Abe Vigoda passes away
1. American actor Abe Vigoda best known for roles in The Godfather and Barney Miller, a sitcom of 1970s passed away in New Jersey, US. He was 94. His most famous role was as the grumpy and deadpan Detective Sergeant Phil Fish in the Barney Miller police comedy series.
4. Marvin Minsky, the pioneer of Artificial Intelligence, died
1. Marvin Minsky, the pioneer of artificial intelligence, died on 24 January 2016 at Boston’s Brigham and Women’s Hospital due to cerebral hemorrhage. The mathematician and the computer scientist died at the age of 88.
2. Minsky, a professor emeritus at the MIT Media Lab, helped in work that helped inspired the creation of the personal computer and the Internet.
5. FIH Hockey Stars Awards 2015 announced
1. The International Hockey Federation (FIH) on 26 January 2016 announced the winners of its Hockey Stars awards for 2015.
The Netherlands' Robert Van der Horst and Lidewij Welten won the men's and women's FIH Player of the Year awards, respectively, for their performances in 2015.
Goalkeeper of the year (Women)- Joyce Sombroek (The Netherlands)
Goalkeeper of the year (Men)- David Harte (Ireland)
Rising Star of the Year (Women)- Lily Owsley (Great Britain)
Rising Star of the Year (Men)- Chrisopher Rühr (Germany)
6. Transparency International released Corruption Perceptions Index 2015
1. Transparency International on 27 January 2016 released the Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) 2015. The Index measured the perceived levels of public sector corruption in 168 countries and territories across the world.
2. The CPI 2015 showed that although corruption is still rife globally, more countries improved their scores in the edition than declined. The index further suggested that people working together can succeed in the battle against corruption.
3. While Denmark, with rank 1, was adjudged as the most corruption-free country among the surveyed countries, India was placed at the 76th place with 38 points. India was at the 85th position among the 175 countries surveyed in the CPI 2014.
7. Cottalango Leon selected for 2016 Technical Achievement Award of Academy of Motion Pictures
1. Cottalango Leon, a person of Indian origin, was on 22 January 2016 selected for the 2016 Technical Achievement Award of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
2. Leon won the award under the Scientific and Technical Achievements category for the design, engineering and continuous development of Sony Pictures Imageworks Itview along with his two team members J Robert Ray and Sam Richards. It is a tool used only within Sony Imageworks.
3. Dubbed as itview, the software makes review of movie segments by artists at various levels a lot easier during film making.
4. He joined another person of Indian origin Rahul Thakkar who also was named as one of the winners of Scientific and Technical Awards 2016 of Academy Awards.
8. Cabinet approves hybrid annuity model for highway projects
1. The Union Cabinet under Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the raising of 17 India Reserve Battalions (IR Bns) by Jammu & Kashmir and states affected by Left Wing Extremism.
2. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has given its approval for the Hybrid Annuity Model as one of the modes of delivery for implementing highway projects. “Adopting such a model for projects not found viable on BOT (toll) mode shall be more effective in terms of maximising the quantum of kilometres implemented within the available financial resources of the Government
3. The Cabinet was also apprised of MoUs signed between the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team with its counterparts in Malaysia, Singapore and Japan to promote cooperation for exchange of knowledge and experience in detection, resolution and prevention of cyber security related incidents. It also cleared a pact signed with Russia in May 2015, which provides for competitive research grants to Indian and Russian researchers for joint implementation of research projects in areas of basic and exploratory sciences.
9. Apollo Munich ties up with Axis Bank for policy distribution
1. Standalone health insurance company Apollo Munich today announced its partnership with Axis Bank for offering bank customers customised insurance policies.
2. Besides, Apollo Munich Health Insurance has distribution partnership with Canara Bank, Indian Overseas Bank and Citi.
10. Rajasthan signs MoU to join UDAY scheme
1. Rajasthan has become the third state to sign a memorandum of understanding for joining the central government’s state electricity distribution utility revival scheme.
2. The MoU was signed between the central government, Rajasthan government and the three electricity distribution utilities in Rajasthan – Jaipur Vidyut Vitran Nigam Ltd, Jodhpur Vidyut Vitran Nigam Ltd and Ajmer Vidyut Vitran Nigam Ltd.
3. Under the Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY) scheme, the Rajasthan government will take over ₹ 60,500 crore of the debt on the books of the electricity distribution utilities. The remaining ₹ 20,000 crore will be issued as state guaranteed DISCOM bonds at coupon rates of around 3 per cent lower than the average existing interest rate.
4. As a result, the distribution utilities of Rajasthan will save around ₹ 3,000 crore annually through reduction in annual interest cost. By increasing the operational efficiency and ensuring AT&C losses, an additional revenue of ₹ 7,300 crore is expected to come to the DISCOMs till fiscal 2018-19
11. India, Armenia amend double taxation avoidance convention
1. India and Armenia on Wednesday signed a protocol to amend the existing Double Taxation Avoidance Convention between the two countries.2. The protocol amends the Article on Exchange of Information for tax purposes to bring it in line with the updated provisions in the OECD Model,” said an official release, adding that it will enable the two countries to exchange information related to financial and banking transactions under the pact and help in preventing tax evasion.