Daily Current Affairs of 26 April 2016 for all competitive exams. Read Daily Current Affairs play important role in competitive exams.
1. Thailand former Prime Minister Banharn Silpa-archa died
1. The former prime minister of Thailand, Banharn Silpa-archa was died on 23 April 2016 in Bangkok. He was 83.
2. His scandal-ridden tenure a Prime Minister preceded the Thailand’s economic collapse in the 1990s.
2. BPCL got environmental clearance for 694 crore rupees LPG project in West Bengal
1. Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (BPCL) got green nod for its 694-crore rupees project at Haldia Dock Complex in West Bengal. This is the project of developing LPG import terminal as well as storage, bottling and bulk distribution facilities.
2. The proposed project aims to boost supply and help achieve the government’s target of making LPG available to each household by 2018.
3. The domestic production of LPG is around 12.38 million metric tonne per annum (mmtpa) which is much lower than the estimated demand of 18.65 mmtpa in 2016.
3. Mohun Bagan and Jeje Lalpekhlua named FPAI Player of the Year
1. Professional football club Mohun Bagan and India striker Jeje Lalpekhlua won the Football Players’ Association of India (FPAI) Indian Player of the Year award at its annual awards function held in Mumbai.
2. Lalpekhlua received the highest number of votes from fellow professional footballers to finish on top in the shortlist which included India captain Sunil Chhetri, Bikash Jairu, David Lalrinmuana and Dhanachandra Singh.
3. Nigerian striker Ranti Martins, who played for East Bengal in the I-League, was named the Foreign Player of the Year.
4. The Manipur-born Udanta Singh of I-League champion Bengaluru FC bagged the Young Player of the Year award. Bengaluru FC’s coach Ashley Westwood won the Coach of the Year award.
5. Debjit Majumder was named the Fans’ Player of the Year.
4. Union Government to provide 1 lakh Rupees per month to Rio-bound athletes
1. Union Sports Ministry announced to provide one lakh rupees per month as out of pocket allowance to the sports persons under the Target Olympic Podium (TOP) scheme.
This allowance will help the sports persons in their preparation for the Olympics and Paralympics Games at Rio de Janeiro, which is set to start in August 2016.
2. 77 Indian athletes in eight disciplines have qualified for the Olympics till date and many more are likely to qualify in the next two months.
3. Target Olympic Podium scheme is a sports ministry initiative under which Olympic medal prospects are funded by the government for top class training as part of their preparations for the Games.
5. India to host 2018 Commonwealth Judo Championships
1. The Judo Federation of India (JFI) announced that India has been allotted the Commonwealth Judo Championships 2018.
2. The Commonwealth Judo Championships was allotted to India, by the Commonwealth Judo Congress held on 23 April 2016 at Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
3. This will be the first time that Commonwealth Judo Championships will be held in India. The Championships will be held in Jaipur. However, the dates are yet to be finalized.
6. Indo-Mongolia Joint Military Exercise, Nomadic Elephant – 2016, commenced
1. The 11th Indo-Mongolia joint training Exercise, titled ‘Nomadic Elephant - 2016’ commenced in Mongolia. The exercise aims at promoting military associations between India and Mongolia will culminate on 8 May 2016.
2. The aim of this exercise is to develop synergy and inter operability between the two armies to fight in Counter Insurgency and Counter Terrorism environment under the United Nation mandate.
7. World Intellectual Property Day 2016 observed globally
1. The World Intellectual Property Day 2016 was on 26 April 2016 observed across the world with the theme Digital Creativity: Culture Reimagined.
2. On this day, the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) works together with various government agencies, non-government organizations, community groups and individuals to hold different events and activities to promote World Intellectual Property Day.
8. Union Government constitutes Ashok Dalwai committee for doubling farmers’ income by 2022
1. The Union Government has recently constituted 8-member inter-ministerial committee to prepare a blueprint for doubling farmers’ income by 2022.
2. The committee will be headed by Ashok Dalwai, Additional secretary at the Union Agriculture Ministry and is expected to submit the report in two months. Its members will include officials from Agriculture and Food Ministries, experts from the Delhi-based National Council of Applied Economic Research and National Institute of Agricultural Economics and Policy Research.
9. Indian rower Dattu Bhokanal qualifies for Rio Olympics
1. Indian rower Dattu Baban Bhokanal qualified for the 2016 Rio Olympics scheduled to be held in August 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
2. He qualified Rio Olympics after winning a silver medal in the men’s single sculls event at the FISA Asian and Oceania Olympic Qualification Regatta held at Chung-ju in South Korea.
10. Mairaj Ahmed Khan wins silver medal at ISSF World Cup of shooting
1. India’s Mairaj Ahmed Khan has won the silver medal in the men’s skeet event at ISSF World Cup held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
2. In the final, Mairaj lost gold medal to Sweden’s Marcus Svensson and the bronze medal was won by Tamarro Casandro of Italy. With this victory, he becomes first Indian shooter to win skeet medal for India at a World Cup.