1. Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal launched UJALA Scheme in Madhya Pradesh
1. Union Minister for State (IC) for Power, Coal and Renewable Energy Piyush Goyal launched National LED programme - Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All (UJALA) in Madhya Pradesh. He launched the programme along with the state CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan at a function in Bhopal.
2. The scheme is being implemented by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a joint venture of PSUs under the Union Ministry of Power.
Special features of UJALA
• Under this Programme, 3 crore LED Bulbs will be distributed in the next 6 months in the State. People of Madhya Pradesh will get energy efficient 9W LED bulbs at an upfront payment of just 85 rupees per LED bulb.
• UJALA will not only help reduce consumers their electricity bills but also contribute to the energy security of India. The UJALA scheme is being monitored in a transparent manner through a national dashboard (www.delp.in).
2. Swat activist Tabassum Adnan won 2016 Nelson Mandela Award
1. Tabassum Adnan, a women’s rights activist from Swat valley of Pakistan, won the prestigious Mandela - Graça Machel Innovation Award 2016 in Bogota, Colombia.
2. She won the award for the individual activist category on the concluding day of the International Civil Society Week held from 25 April to 28 April 2016.
3. International Jazz Day 2016 observed globally
1. The International Jazz Day 2016 was observed across the world on 30 April 2016. This year, UNESCO celebrated the day at Washington, DC.
2. The Day is intended to raise awareness in the international community of the virtues of jazz as an educational tool, and a force for peace, unity, dialogue and enhanced cooperation among people.
4. Iraq Thomas made fastest ever century in cricket history
1. Tobago batsman Iraq Thomas created a record by scoring 21-ball century in the Tobago Cricket Association’s T20 tournament at Louis D'or.
2. The 23-year-old Thomas represented Scraborough/Mason Hall and remained not out on 131 rums off just 31 balls. He helped his side to chase down Speyside's target of 152 runs in just eight overs.
5. NABARD partners with Germany for food security initiative
1. The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has entered into collaboration with German Government for a special programme on ‘Soil Protection and Rehabilitation for Food Security‘. The programme is part of the German government’s recently introduced special initiative ‘One World, No Hunger’ initiative.
2. Soil conservation and rehabilitation of degraded land programme in Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra. Innovation of watershed development and climate change adaptation programmes in five states Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Rajasthan.
6. Gujarat Government to provide 10 % reservation to economically backward of higher castes
1. Gujarat Government has decided to provide 10 percent reservation for economically backward classes (EBCs) in general category. In this regard, state government is going to promulgate ordinance and will be applicable in government jobs as well as admission to the educational institutions from next academic year. 2. This 10 percent reservation for EBCs in general category will be available to all non-reserved class, whose total family income is less than 6 lakh annually. The new reservation will not affect the present reservation available to Scheduled Castes (SC)/ Scheduled Tribes (ST) and Other Backward Classes (OBC).
7. Former bureaucrat NK Singh selected for Japan’s highest civilian award
1. Former bureaucrat and parliamentarian Nand Kishore Singh has been selected for prestigious ‘Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver’, Japan’s highest civilian award. He was chosen for this prestigious award for promoting economic, educational and cultural ties between India and Japan.
2. He is among 91 foreign recipients to be honoured during the 2016 Spring Imperial Decoration of Japan by Emperor Akihito during the investiture ceremony in May 2016.