Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
1. Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) announced that noted space scientist Udupi Ramachandra Rao, popularly known as U. R. Rao, will be honoured with the International Astronautical Federation (IAF) Hall of Fame Award for 2016.
2. Rao will be honoured in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the progress of astronautics within the framework of the IAF's activities.
3. The scientist will be presented with the certificate at the 67th International Astronautical Congress, which will be held in Guadalajara in Mexico on 30 September 2016.
2. US launched Phase 2 of EPAA missile defence system in Romania
1. The USA launched the Phase 2 of the European Phased Adaptive Approach (EPAA) missile defence system in Romania.
2. As part of this, a new ground-based missile defense system will be set up at the US naval support facility in Deveselu, Romania.
3. Details related to the system
• It was set up as part of the USA-Romanian Ballistic Missile Defense Agreement that was signed in 2011.
• It is equipped to counter threats from short and medium-range missiles with the use of SM-3 missile interceptors.
• It will be built and maintained by the USA. It will be jointly operated by the USA and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO).
• It is the first land-based defensive missile launcher in Europe and will join other elements of the NATO defensive shield located in Germany, Turkey and Spain
3. Renewable energy country attractiveness index 2016 released: India Placed at 3rd Position
1. Global organization EY released the Renewable energy country attractiveness index 2016. The report reveals 40 countries on the attractiveness of their renewable energy investment and deployment opportunities based on a number of indicators.
2. This year, the European markets slipped down in the EY’s Renewable energy country attractiveness index (RECAI) rankings while less mature markets across Latin America, Africa and Asia continued to rise.
Highlights of the report
• The emerging markets now represent half of the countries in the 40-strong index, including four African markets featuring in the top 30.
• Index was topped by the United States (US) and was followed by China at 2nd position and India at 3rd position.
4. 2016 International Day of Families observed with theme Families, healthy lives and sustainable future
1. The 2016 International Day of Families was observed across the world on 15 May 2016. The theme for the year was Families, healthy lives and sustainable future.
2. The International Day of Families provides an opportunity to promote awareness of issues relating to families.
3. The theme of 2016 International Day of Families focuses on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development Goal 3, which is to Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
5. Deepak Shodhan, India’s oldest living Test cricketer died
1. Former Test cricketer Deepak Shodhan, the first Indian to score a memorable ton in his debut innings, died on 16 May 2016. He was 87.
2. India's oldest living Test cricketer died due to cardiac arrest after a brief battle with lung cancer at his residence in Ahmedabad.
6. Dutchman Max Verstappen became youngest winner of F1 at Spanish Grand Prix
1. Dutch teenager, Max Verstappen, became Formula One's youngest race winner after winning the Spanish Grand Prix. Red Bull's Verstappen defeated Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen by 0.616 seconds.
2. His teammate Sebastian Vettel stood at the third position.
Verstappen drove to triumph after, Mercedes drivers Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg crashed out in the first lap of the race.
3. At 18 years and 228 days, Max Verstappen is the youngest race winner in F1 history. The Dutchman was two years and 210 days younger than the previous youngest winner, Sebastian Vettel.
7. Income Declaration Scheme for domestic black money to start from June 1
1. Income Declaration Scheme of the Union Finance Ministry will start from 1 June 2016 and will remain in force till 30 September 2016. The scheme is also called four month window for declaring black money.
2. Under the Scheme declared income would be taxed at the rate of 30 percent plus 'Krishi Kalyan' cess of 25 percent on taxes payable and a penalty at the rate of 25 per cent of the taxes payable.
3.In other words, a total of 45% of the income declared under the scheme will be taxed.
8. China launches Yaogan-30 remote sensing satellite
1. China has successfully launched Yaogan-30 remote-sensing satellite into sun-synchronous orbit (SSO) using the Long March-2D rocket. The rocket was launched from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center located in Gobi desert in northwest China’s Gansu Province. It was the 227th flight of the Long March rocket series and was also the second orbital launch from the Jiuquan Satellite launch Center in 2016.
2. The Yaogan-30 satellite was built by the China Academy of Space Technology (CAST). It is part of second generation of the Yaogan series inaugurated in 2008. The first Yaogan satellite was launched in 2006.