Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
Daily Current Affairs- 17 July 2016
1. Pema Khandu sworn in as the 10th Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh
1. Pema Khandu (36) of Congress Party was sworn in as the 10th Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh. With this,he became the youngest Chief Minister in the country. He was administered the oath to office and secrecy by Governor Tathagata Roy at the Rajbhavan in Itanagar.
2. Besides, Chowna Mein was sworn in as the Deputy Chief Minister. Pema Khandu was selected as CM of Arunachal Pradesh after he had staked claim to power on the basis of the support of 45 party MLAs along with 2 independents in the 60-member House with an effective strength of 58. Now he has to prove his majority in the floor test. He is also supported by the ousted Chief Minister Khaliko Pul, who has returned to the Congress party with 30 dissident Congress MLAs.
2. UNESCO announces 9 new World Heritage Sites
1. The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), the UN cultural agency added nine new sites on its World Heritage List. Decision in this regard was taken at the 40th session of The World Heritage Committee meeting in Istanbul, Turkey. With these inclusions, the recorded sites on the World Heritage now stand at 981 which include both cultural and natural wonders.
9 new World Heritage Sites are Old city of Ani (Turkey), Zuojiang Huashan rock art cultural landscape (China), Qanat (Iran), Nalanda Mahavihara (India), Artificial islets of Nan Madol (Micronesia), Stecci Sites, Ancient Philippi (Spain), Gorham’s Cave Complex (Britain).
3. Vijender becomes WBO Asia Pacific Super Middleweight champion
1. A packed Thyagraj Stadium got more than it had bargained for as Vijender Singh became the WBO Asia Pacific Super Middleweight champion with a convincing win over Australian Kerry Hope here on Saturday even as pro boxing made a rousing start in the country.
2. Vijender remained unbeaten, this time by unanimous decision, even though his reputation as the ‘Knockout King’ took a backseat.
3. It was also his toughest fight yet, stretching to the maximum 10 rounds at the end of which he was as drained as his opponent.
4. Terrapin 3 Acquisition Corporation acquires Yatra Online for $218 mn
1. Yatra Online, Inc. and Terrapin 3 Acquisition Corporation on 14 July 2016 entered into a definitive merger agreement. The transaction values Yatra at an enterprise value of 218 million dollars (1458 crore rupees).
2. Yatra in its statement said that it intends to be listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market under the symbol "YTRA" following completion of the transaction.
3. The combined company will continue to be led by Yatra's experienced management team under the leadership of chief executive and co-founder Dhruv Shringi.