Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
Daily Current Affairs- 18 July 2016
1. Guruprasad Mohapatra appointed as Chairman of Airports Authority of India
1. Odisha-born bureaucrat Guruprasad Mohapatra was on 15 July 2016 appointed as the Chairman of Airports Authority of India (AAI) with effect from 19 July 2016.
2. Guruprasad Mohapatra is a 1986 batch IAS officer of Gujarat cadre.
2. SpaceX launched unmanned Dragon cargo capsule to International space station
1. paceX on 18 July 2016 launched its unmanned Dragon cargo capsule to the International Space Station, carrying a key piece of equipment that was lost in 2015 due to rocket explosion. The launch to the ISS is a resupply mission for NASA.
2. Dragon spaceship was packed with nearly 23000 kilograms of gear, including science experiments and equipment for the astronauts living in space.
3. After blasting off from Cape Canaveral, Florida, the rocket separated after sending the cargo to orbit. Then the first stage of the Falcon 9 rocket landed back on the solid ground in Cape Canaveral at the NASA facility. As per the plan, the Dragon is expected to arrive at the space station early 20 July 2016.
3. Nelson Mandela International Day 2016 observed
1. Nelson Mandela International Day was observed across the world on 18 July 2016 to honour the Nobel Peace Prize laureate Nelson Mandela (1918-2013).
2. The day is aimed at inspiring individuals to take action to help change the world for the better.The Day was celebrated for the first time on 18 July 2010 as per a UN General Assembly resolution of November 2009.
4. Turkish musician Kudsi Erguner named UNESCO Artist for Peace
1. Turkish musician Kudsi Erguner was on 10 July 2106 appointed as the UNESCO Artist for Peace by the Director-General of UNESCO, Irina Bokova.
2. Erguner was appointed for the post at a ceremony held at the Congress Center in Istanbul (Turkey) after the opening ceremony of the 40th session of the World Heritage Committee, which ends on 20 July 2016.
5. HDFC becomes first Indian Company to issue masala bonds
1. The Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC) has become the first Indian company to issue rupee-denominated bonds “masala bonds” on London Stock Exchange (LSE). The bond will help HDFC, India’s biggest mortgage lender (home finance company) to diversify its borrowing profile and access global investors. With this issuance of masala bonds,
2. HDFC is planning to raise 750 million dollars from the overseas market during the current financial year.
6. Railway Ministry launches project to install Solar Panels in all Railway Buildings
1. The Union Railway Ministry has launched a project to install Solar Panels in all Railway Buildings in order to reduce expenditure on electricity As part of the project, Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu laid the foundation stone of one Megawatt (MW) solar power plant at Amritsar Railway station in Punjab.
2. The power plant at Amritsar Railway station will be set up with a cost of 8 crore Rupees. It will annually produce 14 lakh units of power. It will save 1.40 crore Rupees for railway. The Union Railway Ministry is going to install such Solar Panels for harnessing free solar energy in all the Railway Building across the nation.
7. UP Government, Netherlands ink MoU for setting up skill development Center for farmers
1. The Uttar Pradesh government has signed a MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) with the Netherlands to set up a skill development center to help farmers The MoU was signed by Dutch Ambassador Alphonsus Stoelinga and UP Chief Secretary Deepak Singhal in presence of Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
2. The MoU would ensure that farmers would get information in food processing and modern techniques for better produce of sugarcane, potato, dairy development and flowers. The Skill Development Centre established under this MoU aims to improve the cultivation skills of farmers.