Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
Daily Current Affairs- 22 July 2016
1. Narendra Modi and Sheikh Hasina inaugurate Petrapole Integrated Check Post
1. Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi and the Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina on 21 July 2016 jointly inaugurated the Petrapole Integrated Check Post (ICP).
PM Modi and PM Hasina inaugurated the check post through video-conferencing.
2. The Petrapole checkpost will help in promoting bilateral trade and will also boost economic growth of both countries.
Petrapole-Benapole is an important land border crossing for India-Bangladesh trade as more than 50% of the India-Bangladesh trade passes through Petrapole.
Key highlights of the Petrapole Integrated Check Post
• Petrapole is the Indian side of Petrapole-Benapole border checkpoint between India and Benapole of Bangladesh.
• It is located near Bongaon in North 24 Parganas district of West Bengal.
• Petrapole border is the only land port in south Bengal.
• It is the largest land customs station in Asia.
2. Ajay Bhushan Pandey appointed as CEO of UIDAI
1. The Union Government on 21 July 2016 appointed Ajay Bhushan Pandey as the Chief Executive Officer of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
2. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet approved the promotion of Pandey with effect from 12 July 2016.
Under Pandey’s tenure, UIDAI will have to deal with the legal cases involving privacy and parliamentary issues that Aadhaar has been embroiled in.
3. Former French cyclist Dominique Arnaud passes away
1. Former French cyclist Dominique Arnaud passed away in Dax, Aquitaine, France on 20 July 2016 due to cancer. He was 60.
2. Born on 19 September 1955 in Tarnos, France, Dominique Arnaud was a French racing cyclist. He rode in eleven editions of the Tour de France, which is an annual multiple stage bicycle race primarily held in France.
4. Union Cabinet approves establishment of new AIIMS at Gorakhpur
1. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for establishment of new All India Institutes of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) at Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh.
2. It will be established under Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) which aims at correcting imbalances in the availability of affordable healthcare facilities in different parts of country and also augmenting facilities for quality medical education in under-served states.