Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
Daily Current Affairs- 22nd August 2016
1. Kamal Haasan chosen for France’s Chevalier de L’Ordre Arts et Lettres
1. The Minister of Culture and Communication, France, in the third week of August 2016 selected Kamal Haasan for the Chevalier de l'Ordre des Arts et Lettres (Knight in the National Order Arts and Letters).
2. The distinction is in recognition of his high level of artistic excellence and his distinguished career achievements.
Haasan is the second Tamil star after thespian Sivaji Ganesan to be honored with the prestigious French award.
2. Former international umpire Subrata Banerjee dies
1. Subrata Banerjee, the former international umpire, passed away on 19 August 2016 in Kolkata. He was 71.
2. Banerjee had a 15-year career at the international level, where he officiated in 13 ODIs.
3. China opens world’s longest and highest glass bridge
1. The world’s highest and longest glass-bottomed bridge was opened to visitors in central China. The bridge connects two mountain cliffs known as the Avatar Mountains in Zhangjiajie, Hunan province.
2. The glass-bottomed bridge is 430 metres long and is 6 metres wide. It stands 300 metre above a canyon in the Tianmenshan National Forest Park. It has been paved with 99 panes of three-layered transparent glass. It has been designed by Israeli architect Haim Dotan.
4. IOA President N Ramachandran bestowed with Olympic Order award
1. President Indian Olympic Association (IOA) N. Ramachandran was awarded the Olympic Order for his outstanding services to the Olympic movement. The award was formally bestowed upon him by the President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Thomas Bach.
2. He is an Indian squash administrator. Currently he serves as current President of WSF (World Squash Federation) since 2008.
5. Ecommerce AskMe shuts down
1. Hit by a cash crunch, e-commerce company AskMe has decided to shut shop, leaving 4,000 staffers jobless, while its majority investor Astro said it will appoint a forensic auditor to review the books of the start-up’s parent firm Getit.
2. The last few months have seen a spate of lay-offs by companies such as Flipkart, Snapdeal and Ola. According to sources, most employees at AskMe have not received their salaries for July, while reimbursements for bills have not been cleared for the past many months.
6. Ashok Chawla to take over as YES Bank non-executive chairman
1. Former CCI head Ashok Chawla will take over as Non-Executive Part-time Chairman of YES Bank from October as the lender has received approval from the Reserve Bank for this appointment.
2. YES Bank said Chawla’s appointment is for a period of three years, with effect from the date of joining the bank.
3. He was appointed as an independent director on the Board of YES Bank on March 5, 2016.
4. Currently, he is the Chairman of NSE and chairs the governing council of The Energy and Research Institute (TERI).