Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
1. Bombay High Court allows entry of women inside Haji Ali Dargah
1. Bombay High Court on 26 August 2016 ruled that women should be permitted to enter the sanctum sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah set in the heart of Mumbai.
2. The 15th century dargah of the Sufi saint, Haji Ali Shah, is located on an islet off the coast of Worli in the southern part of Mumbai.
3. A division bench of Justices V M Kanade and Revati Mohite Dere in its 56-page judgement said that a ban imposed by the Haji Ali Dargah Trust on women entering the sanctum sanctorum contravenes their fundamental rights and must be lifted.
4. Highlights of the Judgement
• The court said that the ban on entry of women inside Haji Ali Dargah violates their fundamental right to practice any religion.
• Rebuking the Dargah Trust, the court said it has no right to discriminate entry of women into a public place of worship under the guise of 'managing the affairs of religion'.
• It refused to accept the claims that allowing women in close proximity to the grave of male Muslim saint was a sin in Islam.
2. ISRO successfully test fires its own scramjet engine
1. India successfully tested its own scramjet or the air breathing engine with the launch of a big sounding rocket, said a senior official of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
2. The scramjet engine, used only during the atmospheric phase of the rocket's flight, will help in bringing down the launch cost by reducing the amount of oxidiser to be carried along with the fuel.
3. International Day Against Nuclear Tests observed globally
1. International Day Against Nuclear Tests was on 29 August 2016 . observed across the world with an aim to raise people’s awareness on the need to prevent nuclear catastrophes to avert devastating effects on humankind, the environment and the planet.
2. The Day was first celebrated in 2010 and since then, the day has . been observed by coordinating various activities throughout the world such as symposia, conferences, exhibits, competitions, publications, instruction in academic institutions, media broadcasts and others.
4. US President Obama expands world's largest protected marine area off Hawaii
1. US President Barack Obama on 27 August 2016 expanded Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument off Hawaii, creating the world's largest marine reserve.
2. The announcement quadruples in size of the existing monument originally created by President George W Bush in 2006. Now, the existing Marine National Monument will expand by 442781 square miles, bringing the total protected area of the expanded monument to 582578 square miles.
August CA eBook
3. The White House says the expansion is helping to protect more than 7000 species including whales, sea turtles, pristine coral reefs, deep sea marine habitats, and more. It will also improve the ecological resources in the waters of the Northwest Hawaiian Islands by dealing with ocean acidification and warming.
5. NASA’s Juno probe completes first Jupiter flyby
1. NASA’s solar-powered Juno spacecraft has successfully executed its first flyby of Jupiter, our solar system’s most massive planet. During its first flyby, Juno passed just 4,200 kilometres above the planet’s clouds. It was the closest contact ever achieved by a man-made probe with Jupiter.
2. During this flyby, it was for the first time Juno had its entire suite of science instruments activated. During this closest approach, Juno passed about 4,200 kilometres above Jupiter’s clouds and travelled at speed of 208,000 kilometres per hour with respect to the planet.
6. Unified Payments Interface becomes operational
1. The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has announced that Unified Payments Interface (UPI) application has become operational. The application will allow customers to make easier real-time payments via digital means using smartphones.
2. The payment gateway became operational after it received the Reserve Bank of India’s clearance that allowed banks’ UPI applications to go live on Google Play Store. Initially, the UPI will be available only on the Android mobile operating system. It will be going live with 21 banks in the first phase.
7. Nico Rosberg wins 2016 Belgian Grand Prix
1. Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg from Germany has won the 2016 Belgian Grand Prix of Formula One. It was Rosberg’s overall tenth championship title of F1 in his career and the sixth win in the 2016 season. Earlier, he had won Australian Grand Prix, Bahrain Grand Prix, Chinese Grand Prix and Russian Grand Prix.
2. 2016 Belgian Grand Prix was the thirteenth race of the 2016 season of Formula One in which total 11 teams had participated. The race was run on Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps