Dear Readers, we are presenting Daily Current Affairs for All Exams- 21st September 2016.
|Daily Current Affairs for All Exams- 21th September 2016|
1. Cabinet approves merger of Union, Railway Budgets
1. In a complete overhaul of the Central Government’s Budgetary process, the Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved three crucial proposals --- to merge the Railway and General Budgets, scrap the distinction between the Plan and Non-Plan Expenditure and advance the date for the presentation of the General Budget to ensure it is completed by March 31.
2. Jaitley also said that the Cabinet had taken an in-principle decision to advance the Budgetary process but the exact dates for presentation of the Budget will be taken based on the calendar for State assembly elections.
3. Regarding the merger of the Railway and General Budget, the Finance Minister said that the distinct identity of the Railways and its functional autonomy will continue.
2. Monika Kapil Mohta appointed as India's Ambassador to Sweden
1. Monika Kapil Mohta was appointed as the India's Ambassador to Sweden.
2. She is presently the Additional Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs and looks after India's relations with a large part of the Asia-Pacific region.
3. Mohta is an 1985 batch Indian Foreign Services officer. Previously, she has served as the ambassador of India to Poland and Lithuania.
3. National Board for Wildlife approves first phase of Ken-Betwa project
1. The National Board for Wildlife (NBWL) approved 10000 crore rupees Ken-Betwa project, India’s first inter-State river interlinking project.
2. With this, India will have a river project will be located within a tiger reserve for the first time.
3. Ken-Betwa project
• It will irrigate the drought-prone Bundelkhand region but will also submerge about 10 percent of the Panna Tiger Reserve in Madhya Pradesh.
• The main feature of the project is a 230-km long canal and a series of barrages and dams connecting the Ken and Betwa rivers.
4. Third list of Smart Cities released
1. Union Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu released the third list of Smart Cities that will get funding for initiating urban reforms. The list includes names of 27 new cities.
2. With this, the number of cities selected under Smart City Mission for financing implementation of smart city plans has gone up to 60.
27 shortlisted smart cities (Rank wise) are Amritsar (Punjab). Kalyan-Dombivili (Maharashtra). Ujjain (Madhya Pradesh). Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh). Nagpur (Maharashtra). Managaluru (Karnataka). Vellore (Tamil Nadu). Thane (Maharashtra). Gwalior (Madhya Pradesh). Agra (Uttar Pradesh). Nashik (Maharashtra). Rourkela (Odisha). Kanpur (Uttar Pradesh). Madurai (Tamil Nadu). Tumakuru (Karnataka). Kota (Rajasthan). Thanjavur (Tamil Nadu). Namchi (Sikkim). Jalandhar (Punjab). Shivamogga (Karnataka). Salem (Tamil Nadu). Ajmer (Rajasthan). Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh). Kohima (Nagaland). Hubbali-Dharwad (Karnataka). Aurangabad (Maharashtra). Vadodara (Gujarat).
5. 21 September: International Day of Peace
1. The International Day of Peace is observed across the world on 21 September every year to strengthening the ideals of peace, both within and among all nations and peoples.
2. The International Day of Peace acknowledges the efforts of those who have strived to end conflict and promote peace. This day is also observed as a day of ceasefire.
3. 2016 Theme: “The Sustainable Development Goals: Building Blocks for Peace”.
6. Flipkart crosses 100 mn customers milestone
1. Flipkart has 100 million registered users, making it the first online marketplace in India to reach this milestone.
2. A press statement from the company said Flipkart has become the first company to reach this milestone in a single country outside the US and China.
3. With 100 million users, Flipkart’s registered customer base stands at around 63 per cent of the entire wireless and wireline broadband connections in India. The figures released by TRAI in September 2016 put the number of broadband connections in the country at under 160 million.
7. Ajay Shirke elected as BCCI secretary
1. Incumbent Ajay Shirke was elected unopposed as the BCCI Secretary at the Board’s 87th Annual General Meeting .
2. Shirke was the lone BCCI functionary to file his nomination for the post yesterday.
3. The 62-year-old became the secretary in July after Anurag Thakur was elevated as the President with Shashank Manohar opting to quit BCCI for the ICC chairmanship.
4. Shirke is the supremo of the Maharashtra Cricket Association and known to be close to former BCCI and ICC President Sharad Pawar.
8. Niti Aayog releases draft action plan for improving India’s performance at Olympics
1. From creation of more sports academies for individual sports to identifying ten priority sports, NITI Aayog has prepared a 20 point draft action plan to improve India’s performance at the Olympics.
2. The draft action plan, which was released on Wednesday for public comments, is in line with the target set for the nation to be able to win 50 medals at the 2024 Summer Olympics.
3. For the short-term, the government’s think-tank believes identifying ten priority sports with high winning potential and developing an outcome-oriented action plan for each of these sports will be crucial.
4. It has also suggested that sportspersons should be organised in accordance with the last four year performances for each of these priority sports.
5. Harnessing the potential of national sports talent especially in tribal, rural and coastal areas, recruiting world-class coaches and grading them as per performance and scaling up the existing Sai Training Centres are among the other recommendations.
9. India ranks 112th in 2016 World Economic Freedom Index
1. India has been ranked 112th out of 159 countries in the 2016 World Economic Freedom Index (WEFI). The index was release as part of the 2016 annual report of the Economic Freedom.
2. The report measures the economic freedom by analyzing the policies and institutions of all 159 countries and territories and was based on data from the year 2014.
3. Top 10 Countries in 2016 WEFI: Hong Kong (1st), Singapore (2nd), New Zealand (3rd), Switzerland (4th), Canada (5th), Georgia (6th), Ireland (7th), Mauritius (8th), UAE (9th) and Australia (10th).