Dear Readers, we are presenting Daily Current Affairs for All Exams- 4th October 2016.
|Current Affairs& GK for Banking/SSC Exams|
1. David Thouless, F Duncan M Haldane And Michael Kosterlitz won 2016 Nobel Prize In Physics
1. The 2016 Nobel Prize in Physics was on 4 October 2016 one half awarded to David J Thouless and the other half jointly to F Duncan M Haldane and J Michael Kosterlitz for theoretical discoveries of topological phase transitions and topological phases of matter.
2. David J Thouless is a Emeritus Professor at the University of Washington, Seattle, USA. While, F. Duncan M. Haldane is the Eugene Higgins Professor of Physics at Princeton University, USA and J Michael Kosterlitz is the Harrison E. Farnsworth Professor of Physics at Brown University, USA.
2. SBI becomes first domestic bank to open branch in Yangon
1. The State Bank of India (SBI) became the first domestic bank of India to open a branch in the capital city of Yangon, Myanmar. Ghanshyam Srivastava will be the Chief Executive Officer of the SBI Yangon branch.
2. This was made possible with the permission of the Myanmarese central bank, which allowed SBI to open a branch with the primary objective of extending wholesale banking services to foreign corporates.
3. The Yangon branch is the 54th foreign branch of the SBI, nation's largest lender. This branch extends the global presence of SBI in 37 countries through 198 offices.
3. Ashish Vohra appointed as CEO of Reliance Nippon Life Insurance Ltd
1. Ashish Vohra was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Reliance Nippon Life Insurance Ltd. The position of CEO of the company was lying vacant after Anup Rau left the company in June 2016.
2. Prior to this appointment, Vohra was working at Max Life Insurance.
4. Kersti Kaljulaid elected as first female President of Estonia
1. Kersti Kaljulaid was elected as the President of Estonia by the parliament.
2. With this, Kaljulaid will become Estonia’s first female president. Kaljulaid won vote 81-0, with 20 members absent or abstaining. Her selection follows two failed votes and weeks of heated debate.
5. Jharkhand becomes first state to implement DBT in Kerosene
1. Jharkhand has become the first state in the country to implement Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) in Kerosene Scheme. The scheme is being implemented in four identified districts of the state from 1st of October 2017. These districts are Chatra, Hazaribagh, Khunti and Jamtara.
2. Under the DBTK scheme, PDS kerosene will be sold at non-subsidised price and the subsidy will be directly transferred to consumers directly into their bank accounts. This initiative was launched by Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Ministry on the lines of a similar DBT programme for LPG subsidy. It aims at rationalising subsidy based on the approach to cut subsidy leakages but not the subsidy.
6. Elephant researcher Prajna Chowta conferred with knighthood by France
1. Film-maker and elephant researcher Prajna Chowta (46) has been appointed Chevalier de l’Ordre National du Mérite (Knight in the National Order of Merit) by the French government. She has been conferred with the France’s one of the highest civilian recognitions in recognition of a life devoted to caring for wild Asian elephants.
2. She is the founder of Aane Mane Foundation, which has been researching and conserving wild Asian elephants for the past 16 years. As elephant researcher, she was instrumental in developing one of the first GPS collars and an online monitoring system for elephants in India.
7. Monetary policy review: RBI cuts repo rate by 25 bps
1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to cut its key policy rate, or the repo rate, by 25 bps to 6.25 per cent. New Governor Urjit Patel, who took over a month ago from Dr Raghuram Rajan, announced his first monetary policy .
2. There was no change in the cash reserve ratio (CRR) or the amount of money parked with the central bank as a percentage of bank deposits at 4 per cent. The decision to cut was taken after a two-day deliberation by the newly formed Monetary Policy Committee. The committee has three external members and three internal members from the RBI including the Governor. All 6 members voted in favour of a cut.
8. M Sathiavathy is new Labour Secretary
1. M Sathiyavathy has been appointed as Secretary, Ministry of Labour & Employment, on superannuation of Shankar Agarwal on September 30,2016.
2. Prior to this, Sathiavathy, a 1982 batch IAS officer from the AGMUT cadre, served as the first woman Director General of Civil Aviation from January 2015 to August 2016 and was then appointed as OSD in the Ministry of Labour & Employment.