Dear Readers, we are presenting Daily Current Affairs for All Exams- 7th October 2016.
|Current Affairs& GK for Banking/SSC Exams|
1. Colombian President wins Nobel Prize for peace efforts
1. The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided to award the Nobel Peace Prize for 2016 to Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos for his resolute efforts to bring the country's more than 50-year-long civil war to an end, a war that has cost the lives of at least 220 000 Colombians and displaced close to six million people.
2. The award should also be seen as a tribute to the Colombian people who, despite great hardships and abuses, have not given up hope of a just peace, and to all the parties who have contributed to the peace process. This tribute is paid, not least, to the representatives of the countless victims of the civil war.
2. Antonio Guterres as next UN Secretary-General
1. India has welcomed the selection of Portugal’s former premier Antonio Guterres as the next UN Secretary General to replace Ban Ki-moon at the beginning of next year.
2. Guterres, the 67-year-old former head of UN’s refugee organisation for 10 years, emerged as a leading candidate in all of the Security Council’s straw polls.
3. The 15-nation Council conducted a sixth straw poll yesterday in which Guterres received 13 encourage votes and two no opinion votes. None of the five veto-wielding permanent members voted against him, clearing the way for Guterres to become the 9th Secretary General of the UN.
3. India to host 2016 Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction
1. India is hosting the 2016 Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR) from November 3 to 5, 2016 in New Delhi. This will be second time India hosting AMCDRR. The conference will be hosted by Union Government in collaboration with the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR).
2. It will be first AMCDRR after advent of Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (SFDRRR) which was adopted at 3rd UN World Conference in Sendai, Japan in March, 2015. India by hosting AMCDRR re-affirms its commitment to the cause of Disaster Risk Reduction. It will also set the direction of Sendai Framework implementation in the region.
4. President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurates World Sustainable Development Summit
1. President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the first edition of World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS) at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi. The summit was organised by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) with the theme Beyond 2015: People, Planet and Progress.
2. WSDS has replaced TERI’s earlier called Delhi Sustainable Development Summit (DSDS). The first DSDS was organised in 2005. It underscored need for businesses and private sector to take lead in poverty reduction and to ensure rapid and sustained adoption of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
5. Shooter Jitu Rai bags silver at World Cup in Italy
1. Indian shooter Jitu Rai on 6 October 2016 clinched a silver medal in the 50 meter pistol event of the ISSF World Cup Final at Bologna, Italy. Jitu, 29, shot a score of 188.8 to finish behind China's Wei Pang at 190.6. Italy's Giuseppe Giordano settled for the bronze.
2. In the process, Jitu also equalled his own national record score in the qualification round, which was shot in 2014 at Maribor World Cup.
3. Jitu, who was counted as India's best shooting medal hope in Rio but had failed to deliver, had earlier won a Silver medal at the ISSF World Cup in Baku, Azerbaijan in the 10m Air Pistol event. In 2016 Rio Olympics he finished at the eighth position in the men’s 10 meter pistol final.
6. Theatre legend Heisnam Kanhailal passes away
1. Manipur-based theatre legend Heisnam Kanhailal passed away on 6 October 2016 following a brief illness in Imphal. He was 75.
2. Kanhailal had contributed to the field of experimental theatre for more than 40 years.
7. Sikkim CM Pawan Chamling honoured with Sustainable Development Leadership Award
1. Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Chamling was honoured with prestigious Sustainable Development Leadership Award of the The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI). He was presented with the award by President Pranab Mukherjee during “World Sustainable Development Summit” in New Delhi.
2. The award bestowed upon him in recognition of his vision and leadership in environment and sustainable development that made Sikkim India’s first into a fully organic state.