Dear Readers, we are presenting Daily Current Affairs for All Exams- 22th November 2016.
1. India becomes Associate Member of CERN
1. India became an associate member of the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN), the world’s largest nuclear and particle physics laboratory. In this regard, an agreement was signed by Dr. Sekhar Basu, Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) and CERN Director General Dr. Fabiola Gianotti in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
2. As an associate member, India can take part in meetings of the CERN Council and its committees (Scientific Policy Committee and Finance Committee).
2. Stealth Guided missile destroyer INS Chennai commissioned into Indian Navy
1. INS Chennai, a Kolkata-class stealth Guided missile destroyer ship was commissioned into Indian Navy’s combat fleet by Defence minister Manohar Parrikar in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
2. It is the largest-ever warship to be built in India. It is third and last Kolkata-class guided missile destroyers built under Project 15A. Thus, its induction also marks the end of the Project 15A.
3. India’s longest expressway inaugurated in Uttar Pradesh
1. India’s longest expressway connecting Agra and Lucknow was inaugurated by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav at Bangarmau in Unnao district of UP. It has been built by the Uttar Pradesh Expressways Industrial Development Authority (UPEIDA) in a record time of 23 months.
2. The Agra-Lucknow Expressway is six-lane greenfield expressway having total length of 302-km. It has a design speed of up to 120 kms per hour. It starts from Agra and passes through Firozabad, Mainpuri, Etawah, Auraiya, Kannauj, Hardoi, Unnao, Kanpur to reach Lucknow.
4. India ranks 20th on 2017 Climate Change Performance Index
1. India was placed at the 20th rank among the 58 countries on the 2017 Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI). The index was released by Germanwatch, an independent German NGO and Climate Action Network Europe.
2. The CCPI is an instrument designed to enhance transparency in international climate politics. It is list of countries doing the most to combat climate change. It aims to put social and political pressure on those countries which have, up until now, failed to take ambitious action on climate protection.
5. Thai Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn conferred first World Sanskrit Award
1. Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, Princess of Thailand, on 21 November 2016 was conferred with the first World Sanskrit Award. She was honoured for her exemplary contribution for the promotion of Sanskrit language for the year 2015.
2. On the other hand, American linguist and Indologist Professor George Cardona was also honoured with the award for the year 2016.
3. Princess Sirindhorn and Professor Cardona were bestowed with the award by Vice President Hamid Ansari at a function held in New Delhi.
6. Ex-Governor of Madhya Pradesh Ram Naresh Yadav dies
1. Ram Naresh Yadav, former Governor of Madhya Pradesh, passed away on 22 November 2016 aged 89 at a hospital in Lucknow after a prolonged illness.
2. The veteran Congress leader had served as Madhya Pradesh Governor between August 2011 and September 2016.
3. He was also Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister between 1977 and 1979.
7. Irish novelist William Trevor dies aged 88
1. Irish novelist and playwright William Trevor has passed away at the age of 88.
2. Trevor won the Whitbread Prize thrice and was nominated five times for the Booker Prize.
3. The novelist, who also received an honorary knighthood for his services to literature.
8. Akshaya Mukul wins Shakti Bhatt prize
1. Senior journalist Akshaya Mukul has been awarded the Shakti Bhatt First Book Prize for his book "Gita Press and the Making of Hindu India".
2. Judges and authors Samanth Subramanian, Mahesh Rao and Janice Pariat said they chose Mukul's book for its "eye-opening and captivating exploration into a parallel literary culture that can often feel at a great remove from English-speaking metropolitan India".