Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
> Current Affairs Booster of May 2016
Daily Current Affairs- 30 June 2016
1. China launches second Shijian-16 series satellite
1. China launched its second Shijian-16 series satellite. The satellite was carried by a Long March-4B rocket from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China.
2. The Shijian-16 satellite will be used for space environment measurements, radiation and its effect as well as technology testing.
3. The first Shijian-16 satellite was launched in October 2013.
This launch was the 231st flight by a Long March rocket.
2. Navy inducts Indigenous Heavyweight Torpedo 'Varunastra'
1. Indigenously developed heavyweight torpedo Varunastra was inducted in the Indian Navy on 29 June 2016. It was handed to the Indian Navy by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar.
2. With this India joined a select group of eight countries having the capability to design and develop heavyweight torpedoes.
• The torpedo was designed and developed by Naval Science and Technological Laboratory of the DRDO for the Indian Navy. It carries 95 percent of indigenous content.
• It weighs around 1.25 tonnes and is capable of carrying about 250 kg of explosives at a speed of around 40 nautical miles an hour.
3. Italian film actor Bud Spencer dies
1. Bud Spencer, Italian actor and filmmaker, passed away in Italy following brief illness. He was 86.
2. Spencer was known among his fans as the big friendly giant of the screen because of his height and weight.
4. India Post opens ‘My Stamp' scheme for individuals and corporate
1. India Post in June 2016 opened up the ongoing scheme of customized printing of ‘My Stamp’ for individuals and corporate also. Under the scheme an individual or a corporate entity can get their photo or logo printed inside the postage stamp at a price of 12 lakh rupees.
2. As per reports, this time there will be 5000 sheets comprising 60000 postage stamps. These stamps can be used for general postal mail.
3. The plan to go ahead with the scheme of ‘My Stamp’ was reached on specific demands of several like Western Union, SNDT Women's University, Allahabad High Court and others.
5. Renowned painter KG Subramanyan passes away
1. Renowned painter and freedom fighter KG Subramanyan passed away on 29 June 2016 following a brief illness in Vadodra. He was 92.
2. Subramanyan was a versatile painter who blurred the lines between art and artisans by making his mark in pottery, design and terracotta art as well.
6. 10th National Statistics Day celebrated with theme Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare
1. The 10th National Statistics Day was celebrated on 29 June 2016 across the country with the theme Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare.
2. The main function for the celebration was organised by the Ministry of Statistics Programme Implementation at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
3. The National Statistics Day is celebrated annually on the occasion of birth anniversary of Late Prof PC Mahalanobis, India’s eminent statistician.
4. Its objective is to create public awareness among people, especially the younger generation about the importance of statistics in daily life as well as in the process of planning and development.
7. Union Cabinet approves MoU between UPSC and Bhutan’s Royal Civil Service Commission
1. The Union Cabinet has approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and Royal Civil Service Commission (RCSC), Bhutan. Decision in this regard was taken in the Union Cabinet Meeting presided by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
2. Sharing of expertise and experience in Civil Service matters such as selection and recruitment, exchange of resources and development of professional skills of the officers and staff through training and attachment programs. Sharing of expertise on use of Information Technology (IT) in Computer Based Recruitment Tests and Examinations.
8. Rodrigo Duterte sworn in as President of Philippines
1. Rodrigo Duterte was sworn in as the 16th President of Philippines. He will have tenure of six years. He was administered oath to the office by the Supreme Court justice at the Malacanang presidential palace.
2. Born on March 28, 1945 in Maasin, Leyte into a political family with a modest background. By profession he is lawyer but later had entered into the politics. In his political career, for the first time he became vice-mayor of Davao in 1986 and mayor in 1988. He is the longest-serving mayors in the Philippines and was mayor of Davao City for seven terms, totalling more than 22 years span.