Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
> Current Affairs Booster of May 2016
Daily Current Affairs- 2nd July 2016
1. Kerala Government bans e-cigarettes
1. Kerala Government has banned ‘electronic cigarette’ alias ‘e-. cigarette’ as its use can cause various health issues, including cancer and heart ailments. In this regard, an order was issued that banned the production, sale and advertisement of e-cigarettes in the state.
2. With this, Kerala becomes second state in India to ban e-cigarette. Punjab was the first state to ban e-cigarettes in November 2014 under the provisions of Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products Act (COTPA), 2003.
2. India ranks 105th in 2016 Human Capital Index
1. India was ranked low at 105th position out of 130 countries globally on the 2016 Human Capital Index (HCI), which was recently released in the World Economic Forum (WEF) report. The report was released by Geneva-WEF in the Chinese city of Tianjin at its Annual Meeting of New Champions which is also known as `Summer Davos’ summit.
2. Finland (1st position), Norway (2nd), Switzerland (3rd), Japan (4th), Sweden (5th), New Zealand (6th), Denmark (7th), Netherlands (8th), Canada (9th) and Belgium (10th).
3. India's first Integrated Defence Communication Network launched
1. India's first Integrated Defence Communication Network (DCN) was launched on 30 June 2016.
The DCN was inaugurated by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar at South Block.
2. The network enables the Army, the Air Force, the Navy and the Special Forces Command to share situational awareness for a faster decision-making process. It is the first tri-service communication and IT network of the Armed Forces.
Key highlights of the Integrated Defence Communication Network
• The Defence Communication Network is a strategic, highly secure and scalable system.
• It has a pan-India reach, i.e., from Ladakh to the North East to island territories.
• The DCN offers high quality voice, video and data services covering 111 entities spread across India.
4. National Doctors’ Day 2016 observed across India
1. The 2016 National Doctors’ Day was observed on 1 July 2016 across India.
2. The day is observed to honour legendary physician, Dr Bidhan Chandra Roy whose birth and death anniversary falls on the same day.
3. Dr Roy was honoured with the Bharat Ratna on 4 February 1961.The National Doctors’ Day gives an opportunity to raise the awareness about the doctor’s role in daily life.
5. INS Tarasa, Follow-on Water Jet Fast Attack Craft, launched by Indian Navy
1. Indian Navy launched the fourth in the series of Follow-on Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (FO-WJFAC) called INS Tarasa. It was launched at the Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd (GRSE), Kolkata.
2. The name of the ship, like the previously launched FO-WJFACs, is based on the picturesque island in the Andaman and Nicobar islands in the Bay of Bengal.
Follow-on Water Jet Fast Attack Craft INS Tarasa
• These are powered by the latest MTU engines.
• Along with an advanced machinery control system and water jets it can attain a maximum speed of up to 35 Knots.
• The indigenous CRN 91 Gun with Optronic Pedestal gives the ships the requisite firepower to undertake its role of patrolling at sea effectively.
6. Exercise RIPMAC 2016 begins
1. Exercise RIMPAC 2016, the Pacific military exercise, began on 30 June 2016 at Hawaii with 26 nations participating in the war games that will cover the Hawaiian Island and southern California.
2. The theme of RIMPAC 2016 is Capable, Adaptive, Partners. RIMPAC 2016 is the 25th exercise in the series that began in 1971.
3. Highlights of the RIPMAC 2016
• Twenty-six nations, 45 ships, five submarines, more than 200 aircraft, and 25000 personnel will participate in the biennial Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise that is scheduled from 30 June to 4 August 2016.
• This year's exercise includes forces from Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Denmark, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, China, Peru, Korea, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Tonga, the United Kingdom and the United States.
7. Eminent Marathi literary scholar Ramchandra Chintaman Dhere dies
1. Renowned Marathi writer Ramchandra Chintaman Dhere passed away on 1 July 2016 following prolonged illness. He was 86.Dhere was known for his exhaustive research in folk literature and bhakti tradition of Maharashtra.
8. Rapid Rural Police Response System launched in Punjab
1. A Rapid Rural Police Response System was launched across Punjab on 1 July 2016.
2. The system was launched to ensure prompt and effective police response in over 12000 villages in Punjab.
3. Key highlights of Rapid Rural Police Response System
• The Rapid Rural Police Response System was launched by Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal.
• 400 new motorcycles and 220 new Bolero jeeps were also flagged off under the new system.
• Under the system, the police will respond to any crime or law and order situation within 20 minutes of it being reported.
9. Union Sports Ministry grants recognition to Paralympic Committee of India
1. The Union Sports Ministry has granted recognition to Paralympic Committee of India (PCI) after the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) announced temporary lifting of suspension on it. This recognition gives a huge confidence boost to the several para-athletes who have qualified for 2016 Rio Paralympics.
2. The IPC had suspended PCI in April 2015 due to internal conflicts between different groups and persons, which were undermining the development of Paralympic Movement in India. Due to suspension, Indian para-athletes were not allowed to participate in any IPC-sanctioned competition, including 2016 Rio Paralympic Games.
10. Amul to officially sponsor Indian contingent at Rio Olympics 2016
1. India’s largest food products marketing organization Amul has become the official sponsor of Indian contingent to the 2016 Rio Olympics.
2. In this regard, Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF), which sells its product under the brand Amul has inked an agreement with Indian Olympic Association (IOA).