Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
Daily Current Affairs- 7 July 2016
1. Union Government constitute Shankar Acharya Committee to examine desirability and feasibility of new financial year
1. The Union Finance Ministry has constituted four members committee to examine the feasibility and desirability of having a new financial year.
2. The committee has been tasked to examine the merits and demerits of various dates for the commencement of the financial year including the existing date (April to March) by taking into account the various relevant factors.
3. Composition: The committee will be headed by Dr. Shankar Acharya (former Chief Economic Adviser). Besides it will consist of PV Rajaraman (former Finance Secretary, Tamil Nadu), KM Chandrasekhar (former Cabinet Secretary) and Dr. Rajiv Kumar (Senior Fellow, Centre for Policy Research) as its members.
2. Deepak Singhal appointed as the Chief Secretary of Uttar Pradesh
1. 1982 batch IAS officer Deepak Singhal was on 6 July 2016 appointed as the Chief Secretary of Uttar Pradesh. Singhal succeeds 1978 batch officer Alok Ranjan, who retired on 30 June 2016 after a three-month extension of service.
2. He will also hold additional charge of Principal Resident Commissioner of UP in New Delhi, and chairman of the Pradeshiya Industrial & Investment Corporation of UP (PICUP).
3. New Tarantula species named after Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez
1. Scientists has named a newly discovered species of tarantula (a big hairy spider) was named as Kankuamo Marquezi after the famed Colombian novelist and 1982 Nobel Prize in Literature winner Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
2. The species was discovered in large number in an isolated mountain range in Caribbean Colombia. It was named after him as homage to the country where it was found.
It was discovered by a group of Uruguayan and Colombian scientists, led by Carlos Perefan from the University of the Republic of Uruguay.
4. India ranks 91 in Networked Readiness Index 2016
1. India was placed at 91st position in the Networked Readiness Index (NRI) 2016 that was released by the Geneva-based World Economic Forum (WEF) on 6 July 2016. The index was released as the part of the WEF’s Global Information Technology Report 2016.
2. It finds seven countries are excelling when it comes to economically benefiting from investments in information and communications technologies
3. Finland, Switzerland, Sweden, Israel, Singapore, the Netherlands and the US are leading the world when it comes to generating economic impact from investments in information and technology. Singapore leads the Index followed by Finland, Sweden, Norway and the United States.
4. India (91st) was ranked the lowest among the BRICS countries- Russia (41st), China (59th), South Africa (65th) and Brazil (72nd).
5. Jagannath Rath Yatra begins in Puri, Odisha
1. The 139th Rath Yatra of Lord Jagannath commenced on 6 July 2016 in Puri, Odisha. The nine-day-long Rath Yatra will see congregation of more than 10 lakh devotees from India and abroad.
2. The annual festival is celebrated on Ashadha Shukla Paksha Dwitiya (second day in bright fortnight of Ashadha month).
During the Rath Yatra, Lord Jagannath his brother Balbhadra and sister Subhadra will be brought out of the temple to be taken to Gundicha temple, the place of their aunt's house.
3. During the journey, the chariots on which the deities are carried will be pulled by thousands of devotees. The three deities will stay in the Gundicha temple for a week and then return. The return journey of Puri Jagannath Ratha Jatra is known as Bahuda Jatra.
6. China inducts largest homegrown Y-20 military transport plane
1. China inducted its largest indigenously-built transport aircraft named as Y-20, marking a crucial step in its Air Force history for improving its strategic power projection capability.
2. It is also considered as a breakthrough for Chinese defence sector especially in military aviation technology which will allow the world’s largest force to transport cargo and troops over long distances in diverse weather conditions.
3. The indigenously designed and developed Y-20 officially joined the PLA Air Force in Chengdu. It is ideal for transporting cargo and personnel over long distances in diverse weather conditions. It has a maximum take-off weight of 200 tonnes.
7. Rajasthan becomes first state to introduce minimum wages for part time workers
1. Rajasthan has become the first state in the country to introduce minimum wages for part time workers. In this regard, the Labour Department has issued a notification.
2. With this, part time workers in the state now come under the Minimum Wages Act 1948. As per the new rule, it is now mandatory for employer to pay 50% of the prescribed a day minimum wage to a person who works for less than four hours in a day.
3.Besides, in another decision state government also has decided to increase the minimum wages in all categories of scheduled employments by 104 Rupees per month.
8. SBI launches SBI Mingle, a social media banking platform
1. India’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) recently had launched SBI Mingle, a social media banking platform for Facebook and Twitter users.
2. It was launched by SBI Chairman Arundhati Bhattacharya, on the occasion of 61st State Bank Day (observed on 1st July).
3. The SBI Mingle will allow SBI’s customers to access various banking services via these social platforms. To avail services from this platform, customers will have to register for it through a simple one time registration process using either their social account number or their ATM/Debit Card details.