Dear Readers, we are providing Today's important current affairs of Competitive Exams specially for Bank and SSC.
> Current Affairs Booster of May 2016
Daily Current Affairs- 11th June 2016
1. India was ranked 141 on a Global Peace Index (GPI) for year 2016 out of 163 countries, making it less peaceful country. The GPI ranking of 163 countries was compiled by global think Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP). India has moved up two positions from 143rd rank in 2015 GPI.
2. Iceland (1st), Denmark (2nd), Austria (3rd), New Zealand (4th), Portugal (5th), Czech Republic (6th), Switzerland (7th), Canada (8th), Japan (9th) and Slovenia (10th).
2. India, Japan and US navies kick off 2016 Malabar Exercise near South China Sea
1. India, Japan and United States (US) navies have kicked off 2016 MALABAR trilateral naval Exercise near South China Sea. This year it is the 20th edition of the naval exercise in which over 100 aircraft and 22 naval ships including a nuclear submarine are participating.
2. The 20th edition of the naval exercise will be conducted for 8 days. It includes harbour phase exercises at Sasebo, Japan and the sea phase exercises in the Pacific Ocean. Aim of exercise: Increase interoperability amongst the three navies and develop common understanding of procedures for Maritime Security Operations.
3. Sikkim becomes India’s first State to launch open government data portal
1. Sikkim became the first state in India to have an open government data portal linked ‘sikkim.data.gov.in’.
2. The portal was launched by Lok Sabha MP, P D Rai and also launched Open Government Data Platform (Sikkim). Key facts The portal has been developed by Government of Sikkim’s Information Technology Department and NIC team from Delhi.
4. V. Vaithilingam elected as Speaker of Puducherry Assembly
1. Congress leader and former Chief Minister V. Vaithilingam was elected unopposed as the Speaker of the 14th Puducherry legislative Assembly. Besides, pro-tem Speaker VP Shivakozhuthu was declared elected unopposed as the Deputy Speaker. V. Vaithilingam had served Chief Minister of the Union Territory twice.
2. For first time he was in office from 1991 to 1996 and for second time again from 2008-2011. He was the second youngest Chief Minister and the first Chief Minister of Puducherry to serve the full five-year term till date.
5. Satya Pal Jain appointed as Law Commission member
1. Additional Solicitor General of India and former Parliamentarian Satya Pal Jain was on 10 June 2016 appointed as a part-time member of the 21st Law Commission of India.
2. The appointment will be in addition to his charge as an Additional Solicitor General of India.
6. Gordie Howe, legendary ice hockey player dies
1. The legendary Canadian ice hockey player Gordie Howe was died on 10 June 2016 after a lengthy illness. He was 88.
He was nicknamed as Mr. Hockey and is considered to be one of the greatest ice hockey players of all time.